Friday, November 14, 2008

Clinton under consideration

I've been keeping my fingers crossed for a Bill Richardson selection as Secretary of State, but it looks like I might be disappointed. Apparently, Hillary Clinton is now under consideration.

Now I don't think Hillary would necessarily be a bad Secretary of State. I'm just generally sick and tired of the Clintons. After 20 years of Bush-Clinton politics, I'm ready for both families to go away. We have an opportunity to move away from the hyper-partisanship that's characterized politics under these two families, and elevating Hillary to the State Department jeopardizes that.

Barack Obama's in a bad spot, however. On one hand, I'm sure he'd like to avoid rewarding the Clintons, both of whom were fairly nasty during the primaries. On the other hand, making Hillary part of the administration ties her to the success or failure of the Obama administration. Leaving Hillary in the Senate leaves her (and Bill) in a position to undermine Obama for the next four years, then make another run for President in 2012.

No comments: